The effect of lignin on the structure and characteristics of composite coatings electrodeposited on titanium
Authorized Users Only
Diouf, Papa Niokhor
Matić, Ivana Z.
Juranić, Zorica D.
MetadataShow full item record
Composite coatings based on lignin, obtained by electrophoretic deposition (EPD) on titanium, were investigated. The aim of this work was to produce hydroxyapatite/lignin (HAP/Lig) coatings on titanium and to investigate the effect of the lignin concentration on microstructure, morphology, phase composition, thermal behavior and cytotoxicity of the HAP/Lig coatings. An organosolv lignin was used for the production of the composite coatings studied in this research. The properties of HAP/Lig coatings were characterized using X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), attenuated total reflection Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (ATR-FT-IR) and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), as well as the MTT test of cytotoxicity. The results showed that higher lignin concentrations protected the HAP lattice during sintering, thereby improving the stability of the HAP/Lig coatings. The cell survival of peripheral blood mononucle...ar cells (PBMC) after proliferation indicates that the HAP/Lig coating with 1 wt% Lig electrodeposited on titanium was non-toxic with significant promise as a potential bone-repair material.
Keywords:Electrophoretic deposition / Composite coating / Organosolv lignin / Hydroxyapatite / Titanium / Cytotoxicity
Source:Progress in Organic Coatings, 2012, 75, 4, 275-283
- Elsevier Science Sa, Lausanne
Funding / projects:
- National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/MESTD/Integrated and Interdisciplinary Research (IIR or III)/45019/RS// (RS-45019)
- info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/MESTD/Basic Research (BR or ON)/175011/RS// (RS-175011)
- info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/MESTD/Integrated and Interdisciplinary Research (IIR or III)/45015/RS// (RS-45015)