Deposition of Gold Nanoparticles on Polypropylene Nonwoven Pretreated by Dielectric Barrier Discharge and Diffuse Coplanar Surface Barrier Discharge
Authorized Users Only
Obradović, Bratislav M.
Kuraica, Milorad M.
MetadataShow full item record
The aim of this study was to examine and compare the potentials of two different ambient air plasma treatments: volume dielectric barrier discharge and diffuse coplanar surface barrier discharge, for the activation of polypropylene (PP) nonwovens surface. This was done in order to enhance the deposition of gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) onto PP surface. AuNPs were attached onto PP surface from colloidal solution prepared without stabilizers. Scanning electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, attenuated total reflection-Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, water absorption, and AuNPs uptake were used to assess the surface changes due to the plasma treatment, and to evaluate the durability of the achieved treatment effects. Finally, as a very important aspiration of the research, antibacterial activity of AuNPs loaded PP nonwovens against pathogens Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli was evaluated in vitro. The plasma modified PP nonwovens have highly improved wetting and sorp...tion properties. The PP nonwovens loaded with 17-62 mg/kg AuNPs exhibit antibacterial activity against tested pathogens. Surprisingly, this activity was enhanced by the first sample rinsing.
Keywords:Polypropylene / Plasma modification / Dielectric barrier discharge / Gold nanoparticles / Antimicrobial activity
Source:Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing, 2013, 33, 1, 201-218
- Springer, New York
Funding / projects:
- Ministry of Industry and Trade of the CR [2A-3TP1/126]
- Research & Development Operational Programme
- ERDFEuropean Union (EU) [26240220002, 2622020004]
- COST ActionEuropean Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) [CM0601]
- info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/MESTD/Basic Research (BR or ON)/171034/RS// (RS-171034)
- info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/MESTD/Basic Research (BR or ON)/172029/RS// (RS-172029)
- info:eu-repo/grantAgreement/MESTD/Basic Research (BR or ON)/172030/RS// (RS-172030)